Sunday, June 15, 2008

Church history is somewhat depressing.

I've been reading a lot of books on the history of doctrine lately. Or, more precisely, the sections of them that deal with soteriological doctrines from the Apostolic Fathers to Augustine. I've finished going through the three shelves of them at the university library, so I'll have to find another library I suppose.

What I am finding depressing is the post-Nicene period when Christianity was the state religion. The amount of corruption, church-politics, and imperial interference in the church and its doctrine at that time is simply dumbfounding. The reasons for which decisions were made varied from bad to worse. In fact I would simply go so far as to make the blanket statement that all decisions and decrees made within the church during the imperial period are not worthy of being used for toilet paper. The whole thing was one great moronic political circus.

One historian I was reading today aptly commented: "the thinkers church historians write about are neither as logical, as truthful or as edifying in their morals as the devout usually expect." (Linonel Wickham pg 211 in The Making of Orthodoxy 1989 Ed. Rowan Williams) Another comments "There is no doubt that we would be repelled in the twentieth century should church leaders, professing to follow and practice the truths of Christ, were to use such methods [as were used by Cyril of Alexandria]" (Gordon Harper pg 88 in The Heritage of Christian Thought 1979)

Time after time it was the side that is willing to go the furthest, play politics, manipulate others, bribe the right people, who won. It was virtually never about careful reasoning or informed discussion, but about power and politics. Time and again the arbitrary decrees of the Emperors were the turning point, and whichever side could control the Emperors' decisions won the game.

It is disappointing to me to read of those who called themselves Christians acting like they did. But it is far worse to realize that their decisions which they made affected Christian doctrine and have affected many Christians to this day - although protestants have since escaped from a lot of that legacy.

In case anyone is curious, the people who I am particular pissed off at are:
  • Cyril of Alexandria, uber-super-unmatched-bastard
  • Augustine, arch-heretic and doctrinal-innovator extraordinaire
  • Bishops of Rome, dumbasses with super-delusions of grandeur
  • Athanasius, all-round bastard
  • Church Councils, morons with power
  • Emperors, interfering morons with supreme power

People who come out smelling of roses (perhaps somewhat tarnished by the manure they were living amongst):
  • St Pelagius, defender of orthodoxy
  • St Nestorius, suppressor of the cult of Mary

On a slightly different note, something that surprises me somewhat when I consider it, is that informed scholarly opinion is so unanimous on these issues (eg Augustine being a heretical innovator and Pelagius defending previous orthodoxy against Augustine's innovations) and yet this has so completely not filtered through to people in the church. The books sit there in the library, and yet walking into a church and telling people you agree with Pelagius is likely to have those that have heard of Pelagianism upset at your 'heresy' instead of happy at your orthodoxy. It seems that scholars of the history of doctrine can write books that sit on the shelves all they like and that the beliefs of people in the church will simply carry on the way they did before. It's a funny world.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Your mission: write several albums' worth of Pelagian worship songs :) Quickest way to influence pop theology. Only you might have to do it gradually, sneaking in the unpopular doctrines around the edges. Though if you just quote scripture a lot you become harder to argue against I guess.

16/6/08  
Blogger Adam Roe said...

The books sit there in the library,

I would be very interested to know which books you would recommend on a study of this topic. I've been driving myself batty as of late trying to figure out who was right and how we can know it.

Thanks,
Adam

16/6/08  
Blogger Andrew said...

Well the only way to know who was right is lots and lots of study I guess.

The best book in the University of Canterbury library on the history of doctrine is easily A History of Christian Thought by McGiffert, ans second best is Early Christian Doctrines by Kelly. The best work on the Christian doctrine of salvation in the early centuries is The Idea Of Atonement In Christian Theology by Hastings Rashdall.

17/6/08  
Blogger Credo In Unum Deum said...

You are a funny guy.
I am not sure where you get your history, but I am sure that they are not primary sources. Furthermore, the doctrines you consider false, liek the Mary cult that "st." Nestorius was fighting are logical entailments of Christ's divinity. Unless you also disagree that Jesus Christ is the Eternal Son of God and Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, then I suggest you rethink your aversion to Mary, the Blessed Mother of God... which is not a doctrine that only Catholics believe...

4/7/08  
Blogger Andrew said...

Credo,
I read both primary and secondary sources. I have read various arguments advanced in support of a high view of Mary, but I do not find them convincing.

5/7/08  
Blogger Paul Pavao said...

I am commenting ten years late again. I reacted to the intrigue, politics, and violence of the fourth century about the same way you did, but ... let's just say you have a way with words, lol.

So this was written ten years ago. You have had ten years to stew on these kind of things, probably more. My pursuit of church history was not for the purpose of knowledge or improved theology. My goal was to discover the one true church. My search was crushed and stalled between disappointments in my Catholic/evangelical upbringings and the shock of _The Ecclesiastical History of Socrates Scholasticus_. I went back to reading the pre-Nicene writers, found a community to join, and have slowly become comfortable teaching some version of moral theology everywhere people will listen to me. In fact, I found your blog from a Mexican missionary friend who posted the link on the Patristics for Protestants group in FB. We were talking about emphasis on the power to obey vs. a simple emphasis on obedience. Someone pointed me to your page on Lactantius, whom I have not read.

I'm sure enjoying swimming in friendly waters for a few minutes.

One more comment. After 25 years, I am the main teaching elder in our community. I feel like I am often telling my brothers and sisters things that all scholars know, but don't seem to want to admit to the rest of us. I didn't know about a scholarly consensus on behalf of Pelagius, though I think at some point I will have time to research that myself.

Oh, yeah. At the beginning of this comment, I meant to ask what you are doing with all that you've learned. Disappointed in the loss of the benefits supplied by the churches in pre-Nicene times, 2 Tim. 2:22 plays a strong role in my life. "Pursue faith, peace, love, and righteousness along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart" is what I and we are trying to do in the midst of the fractured, unholy version of Christianity that has been passed down to us. Any advice or thoughts in regard to what to do in our present age for your readers?

4/8/18  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home