Friday, January 09, 2009

Campbell on Romans and pistis christou

I just came across the most wonderful article on the interpretation of pistis christou in Romans:

Douglas A. Campbell, “The Faithfulness of Jesus Christ in Romans and Galatians (with special reference to Romans 1:17 & 3:22).” SBL, 2007. (online here)

Campbell espouses my own views almost as if he were reading my mind. (Perhaps because we're both kiwis?) Our overall interpretations of Paul as well as most of the details seem almost identical. I suspect that once we both make key exegetical decisions identically the details tend to resolve themselves identically too.

Although I suspect there are some differences of opinion on other issues. I can't remember offhand what Campbell's interpretation of the phrase 'righteousness of God' was, but I got the impression when reading the above article that his view might be different to my one.

I enjoyed Campbell's book The Quest for Paul's Gospel: A Suggested Strategy and am really looking forward to his forthcoming book The Deliverance of God: An Apocalyptic Rereading of Justification in Paul.

I think I shall add a reference to my own (hopefully) forthcoming book on early Christian salvation theology, saying to look no further than Campbell for my views on pistis christou.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Andrew, good to see you blogging again!

10/1/09  
Blogger M Ronayne said...

I concur - I missed your posts - they were great for distraction at work :)

14/1/09  
Blogger Joseph Hill said...

So did you complete your book? If so how do I read it?

18/7/09  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home